14 October 2007

sMaLL tHiNgS gRoW BiG...


I'm just going back home to the land after a whole weekend hanging out with some new friends in Sintra (near Lisbon)...friday was very tiring coz I travelled most of the day, but saturday and today were pretty relaxed...
Nuno Cesar was the guy who kinda made it happen, sending e.mails to a bunch of us and getting a nice place for us to hang out... Nuno and Paula Barreto gave me a ride to the place and we had really nice chats during the small trips we made during the weekend...actually, if you go to Nuno 's blog you'll probably have a better report from this weekend...
they were the only ones I knew better, or for longer time...even though there were some I also knew from past ocasions, like Junior and Lucinha with their 2 beautiful daughters Leticia and Thais...

we weren't many, maybe between 12 and 18, but who cares about numbers anyway...it was a real quality time of sharing, encouraging each other, laughing, going to the beach (yes, it's still good weather here in Portugal , eh, eh), chatting around the table, praying for one another, trying to watch a movie without breaks and little jokes all the time :-), hearing stories, etc...
we all have few things in common...we are questioning...we are struggling...we are wondering...we are all journeying with Jesus in a big adventure, trying to figure out who we are supposed to be in His kingdom, in His Body, in His family...
we're mostly fed up with what it's called "Institutional church", some longer than others... not the people who are in the institution, but the institution and its structures in themselves, which often "kill" people...or at least it was killing us and our relationship with God... some are calling us "emergent church", but who cares about names anyway... it's one more trial of labelling what is still unknown or new... yes, coz I think none of us has a definition, and I believe we'll never have one... who cares about definitions anyway... I think this "who cares" kinda thing is part of the "emergent" generation...or at least part of me...eh, eh...
But few things we care...about Jesus' heart...about His kingdom...about His Love to all people in the world...
so yes...small things grow big... like a river...like a tree...
one of the things we focused was that it all becomes clear when we find out who we are... all the rest will flow out of that ...
so yes, at least we know we are a seed... what we will be, maybe we don't have a clear idea, but like a tree, we will only know when we let the seed die... we need to die to many preconceptions, paradigms, mindsets, models, traditions, religiosities and other ideas of what "church" is or what is suppposed to be, in order to really BE what Jesus called His church...
" "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and ON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH, and the gates of death will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."(mat16:15-19)
I just noticed a detail now I didn't noticed before...Jesus affirmed Peter's identity first, and then said "on this rock I will build my church" and this "rock" I believe is the declaration he said before about who Jesus is...
FOR ME THAT'S THE CHURCH JESUS STARTED...WITH THOSE WHO HAD THE REVELATION THAT HE WAS THE MESSIAH...AND HE'S THE ONE WHO IS BUILDING IT, AND THE ONLY ONE WHO REALLY KNOWS IT...so we should not care so much about definitions, who is and who's not, how is supposed to be, or how not....who cares !!!! Jesus is taking care of that I'm sure !!!

I knew this was already happening in Portugal...but it was nice to hear stories and know the names, the faces and the hearts of all those who met this weekend... And I know there are much more, still faceless and nameless to us now...
This was also a result, or an arm of a movement I got in touch with in 2004 called Connect Europe , when I also got connected with many people from all over Europe who were also questioning the same things... one of the best things I received from it was that I WAS NOT ALONE...Nuno Cesar and Itaguara also went to Berlin in 2005 and I guess they came back with the same encouragement...and for many on this weekend I guess this was an important thing as well...
YES, WE ARE NOT ALONE....YES, WE ARE NOT CRAZY...YES, WE ARE NOT BACKSLIDING AWAY FROM GOD...BUT WE ARE INDEED GETTING CLOSER, COZ THAT'S THE LONGING OF ALL OF OUR HEARTS...


in my heart I know... I am God's...I am His beloved child...that's enough for me...
I am who I am... by His grace only...
I just want to be who He created me to be...
That little seed put in my mom's womb, created even before I was conceived...

1 comment:

steve said...

strangely a few weeks ago Emma Cowan told me about her best mate who was in Seville this week and i should say hello to her at the 24-7 gathering, someone called Barabra, i did muse that i wouldn't know who she was so it seemed a silly idea, thus it was some surprise to find the Bordens blogsite to point me to your blog of one of their last posts, (obviously not just me but all).

nice to meet you!