24 November 2007

LeO tOLsToi ...


I 'm reading this book which I'm finding amazing...for few different reasons...
first it was from my grandma, as you see in the picture, it has her signature and a date, 1949...wow, that's amazing by itself....to read something my grandma read so long ago...she's dead by the way...
another amazing thing is that it is a romance, which is not at all my kind of reading...but because it is Tolstoi I thought it must have something better than simply romance...and it's true...he has an amazing way to describe people in a social kind of view that i like... I'm still on the beginning though and it's captivating...
and last, what amazed me was his own introduction, more than 100 years ago, with this quote from Coleridge
" He who begins by loving Christianity better than Truth will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity and end in loving himself better than all"
wow... provoking isn't it ?!!!
Maybe some who will read this will call him heretic like the religious people of his time...
actually his introduction is mainly a defence from many letters he received by the same religious who accused him of many things such as "old devil" ..." you will end up like a dog in eternal torment" (well, I wonder where this guy got this about dogs)...etc...it's not worth it to mention more...but I'll just leave you few more things Tolstoi wrote afterwards defending some of the accusations...
" I renounced the Church that calls itself Orthodox. That's absolutely right.
But I didn't renounce the church because I rebel against The Lord. I renounced it, on the other hand, because I wanted with all the strength of my soul, to serve God."
Interesting isn't it !!! This guy was far ahead then, than are many people of today... who seem to think less than in those days... maybe that's why !!!
But anyway, I can also say I don't agree with everything he said, and I feel he didn't really experienced the supernatural side of God...
so , just to finish my observation, here goes the end of his introduction (all this being a rough translation...sorry ) :
"I started by loving the Orthodox church more than myself: then I loved Christianity more than the Orthodox church; today I love the Truth more than anything else in the world. But, so far, the Truth and Christianity confuse themselves. I declare myself as christian; and it's through the efforts I make to conciliate my actions with my beliefs , that I live in peace and joy, and it is in peace and joy that I walk towards death" (1901)

a lot to think about maybe!!!! this guy has some things to say... even today...

2 comments:

Antonius said...

Its a brilliant book. Not a "romance" in that sense, more a vehicle as such.
Beautifully written, containing the Gospel, the Good message.
Don't cheat by reading the last page of this "novel" before you finish reading the whole book.

One of my favorites.

Peace love
ton

Tolstoi Rocks!

Baba said...

i already noticed that is not a "romance ' book, but that's how is classified...I'm loving it and can't wait to read it all...but i'll not read the last page ;-), i don't like that...i'll "suffer" till the end...eh,eh...
yes, Tolstoi rocks...love his thoughts...
Shantii