13 January 2010

aFtEr sNoW...rAiN & fLoOds...


yep, the snow melted as it started to rain...lots of rain... so this was our entry road next morning as I went to check it out...
there was a water fall on the right side of the land and I presumed the stream of river must have been overflowing...
And that was the case... after one hour I manage to clean the stream taking out some eucalyptus' branches which were blocking the water flow and causing it to go over the edges straight into our land...

I also made some trenches so the water could flow away from the road and into the neighbour's land, and that helped a lot too...
But after fixing the river stream I could already see a major difference...
I also cut some "giestas" branches and laid it on top of the water where it was more muddy and less stones so the car could have some traction... I did manage to drive out of the land and parked the car outside (just in case) ...
Now I need to put some gravel that the village hall pilled on the road for people to use for that purpose... It's quiet a work to do it by hand, but hey...what to do ?!! :-)

...this will be my work for the week I guess... on the little brakes when it's not pouring rain...
I had other plans as I have lots of things I want to do before the permaculture course, but hey... that's life here... what else can I do?!! the natural forces are stronger and I can only wait for better conditions to come...
It's also nice for me to know for instance "how the water thinks", and what to do better to prevent such situations...or how to use that force for our benefit :-)... But I can't do everything at the same time , can I ?!! Shantii, Shantii...one step at a time ...
Oh well... the weather forces me to be more indoors, reading and resting (even though at this time it would not be tiring to be working outside either... sometimes is more restful for me than reading)... But I give thanks and enjoy !!! The ponds are filling which is really good to stand the next hot summer... that's what I have in mind actually !!!
And for those who live in the city, maybe the rain is just annoying, even though it might not even be affecting you much, unless your house leaks or some flood cut down the electricity... but give thanks and enjoy too, remembering that the land really needs more water to provide for the food we eat :-) , and definitely the springs need more water to provide the water we need to drink...
I don't like to think fatalistically, but if we keep wasting and polluting the natural resources as we are at the moment, maybe sooner than later, water will be more precious than petrol... a little thought for us to think about...

No comments: