24 August 2006

LiTtLe aDvEnTuRe …


Our friend Johnny who we met in the hostel took us for a little adventure in Jerusalem… we went to the Ezequias tunnel that goes to the Siloah pool …
soooooo fun… we walked 500 meters (about half an hour), in this tunnel with water to our knees and we reached the spring (which comes from the Mount Moriah) and then we walked back to where we started…you can see by the pictures how narrow it was…
we walked some time without any kind of light to make it even more fun… only one girl who came with us didn’t find much fun in the beginning…she was freaking out coz it seamed too long for her and she started to imagine silly things (like we could be locked in, or forgotten)… in the end she enjoyed, but it was a bit annoying on the way… poor girl…
But with all the fun I could also learn something for life… it was interesting how we could only trust when we were in total darkness, only touching the rocks on the sides…
we couldn’t see a thing in front of us and it really seamed we were never reaching the spring…
we just needed to trust that we would reach the promised goal ☺…
And that girl who was freaking out also showed me how we can miss a lot of things if we start allowing lies and doubt to get into our minds… we start not enjoying the way and we just complain… we can even lead others to fear or disbelief…
New things always scare me a bit… but I know I’m not alone in this Way ☺ … and I know I will reach something good in the end…
In this pilgrimage of life, what matters is not so much the different places we reach along the Way, but the Way itself is the real purpose…
how I get to a certain place mean more to me then the place itself…
and also the ones I meet along the way…
I’ve been thinking a lot about this here in Jerusalem… for most of people this is “the holy land”… "definitely the place to come", most of people say… a lot of historical and spiritual places to go and see…but I’m not so impressed with the place itself to be honest (sorry if I’m offending anyone), and I’m not so much into visiting places where people are buried, or where something important happen in the past…or where something really cool used to be…but is not anymore, so what’s the point?!! Sorry about my scepticism here… I've been struggling with that here...
Those who made this journey possible , those I’ve been walking along with, those I’ve been meeting along the way are much more meaningful for me then a bunch of stones that are here for many thousands of years…
Like in this adventure…
it was really cool to reach the spring, but what I keep in my mind is the way… the ones who came with me…the guy who kindly opened the door for us to get in and afterwards served us some tea and fresh picked grapes and figs…


Sorry, I divagated a bit here ☺
Anyway, this is a report of my thoughts as well ☺

PEACE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara

it encourages me .. , what you wrote about the way .... to be on the way and not allowing doubts or disbelieve to destroy the journey we are on ...
it reminds me on .. that Jesus is the way .. he is the way where I´m´walking on and he is the one I put my trust in that he will lead and guide me .. although when it is dark around me and I think I will never reach the goal, or some promises will never be fulfilled .. he is the one who carries me .. way
beyond I ever can imagine .. so he is the way ... and he is although my resting place on the way

Some weeks ago I read some verses Johann Wolfgang v. G. and he said you are not traveling to reach the goal, but you travel to be on the way ....

at this moment when I read it, it inspired me ...